5.05.2006

More than Once Upon a Time

I lived happily ever after
Until they put my name in the headlines:
“Virginal Princess Awaits Rescue.”

Every day I would lie sleeping,
Cooled by the breeze through the tower window
Or warmed by the dragon’s breath.
No disturbances,
Only dreams.

With my eyes closed
I could see the shining knight
On his horse
In a field of white roses
And poppies
Trotting to my rescue.
He never galloped.
I wasn’t going anywhere.

He would prance outside my window,
Flashing a sparkling Crest smile,
Waving and thrusting his sword over his head.

The anticipation was enough to keep me asleep.
But then he “rescued” me.

So instead of a shining knight on a horse,
Instead of poppy fields and dreamy eyes,
I’m stuck under the overweight victor
Who lost three teeth to the dragon’s tail.
Instead of happily ever after
I’m stuck with his rough fingers
Fumbling their way inside me every night.

He didn’t even bring me flowers,
And believe me when I say
He was definitely compensating for something
With his sword.

Now I lie awake night after night
Faking a headache.
Praying for an old woman to bring me a poison apple.

No comments: