4.19.2004

letter to bryan jones

Tonight when I was walking home, I wanted the trees to rub together
They make me feel like you are still with me, our bodies pressed closely against one another.

Tonight as I was walking home, I stood and listened to the frogs chirping.
I could still hear your voice singing our goodnight song
As the verses get longer
And the chorus remains:
"see you tomorrow"

I never know why all of these outdoor things remind me of you: the small buds growing from the overshadowed tree beside the path, the small plops of life falling from leaves and shuffling on the ground, the fresh scent of springtime breathing through my hair.

You are what it feels like to curl up next to a creek on a warm spring day.
A bottle of water and a book in hand.
You are as new as a green pasture yet as wise as the firmly fallen tree.
As refreshing as daytime and as still as the night.
Your quiet soul babbles nearby,
Never so loud that I have to run away.

And each tear that falls to my skin from your cheek is like lightning
As we stare up at the night sky from Matoka.
I'm not afraid of the thunder to follow
I'm too busy watching the stars fall down and into your eyes.

Come cross bridges with me.
I've been waiting for a night like tonight when I can sweep you away
And hold you
Until the redwood tree cradles us, slowly lulling our words into a steady hum.
Come walk with me in Eden
Take my hand and spurn a new race of tomorrows.
Find the middle ground
Between always being around
And breaking my heart.

If that ground is shaky,
We can fill it in with sand
Squishing it in between our toes,
Two kids on the beach
Flowing in and out with the tide
Until the wave crests
And we come to rest within
The crescent of the moon we have created.

Tonight as I was floating home
The joy of your forehead on my lips,
And tucking you into my heart,
The trees were silent
And you were not beside me.
There was a layer of dust coating the clear path before me
And I ran over myself and onto the floor
With the things I hoped to do tomorrow,

Yet as I crawled into my bed
Your head was on my pillow
And I squeezed it close
Knowing that was the only place
I would ever lose
You again.

I hope you are there,
With my head on your pillow,
Wondering how to keep me from exploding,
Taping me together the best way you know how.
Singing me lullabies with your strings pulled taut
And your lips curling around the weak spot on my neck.

I hope that you are shining
As I am glowing
And that our light will wrap each other up in Ohm

This is a story that starts in the sky and ends in the heart.
It is our path to walk
Though it may stray off course and the markers may be worn.
This is our hope to find
In a world of nonbelievers.
This is our secret to hold
Until it unfolds itself.

If I could tell you, it would be now
But you've always known.

No comments: